Wasn't the 2010 election message "CUT FEDERAL SPENDING?" Well, now we know how the Lame Duck Congress plans to do just that. The liberal, generous Dems, who have been in power for 6 years and will be until January, are proposing to pass The DREAM Act, which will take $44 billion a year from you taxpayers and hand it over to illegals currently in the U.S. just so they can go to college!
Here are 10 things you need to know about The DREAM Act:
1. The Act is NOT limited to children. In the current proposal the applicant must be under 35 on the date of enactment, which means the illegal would be 41 by the time they obtained full status under the Act. Not exactly "kids" that the pushers and shovers keep screaming about.
2. The Act protects any alien, including criminals, from being removed or deported once they simply submit an application. While that application is pending the applicant cannot be removed from the country for ANY reason, including criminal record or criminal conduct. This loophole allows applications to stay "pending" for many years as a delay tactic to prevent the illegals being removal from the U.S. This is what Obama/Dems want - to keep them all here.
3. The Act makes certain criminal aliens eligible for full amnesty. This includes alien gang members, aliens with misdemeanor convictions, aliens involved in voter fraud, aliens who have falsely claimed U.S. citizenship, aliens who have abused their student visas, aliens who have committed marriage fraud, aliens who pose a public health threat, aliens who have been permanently barred from obtaining U.S. citizenship, aliens who are likely to become a public charge, and aliens guilty of DUIs. And this is not a complete list of who will be eligible for full amnesty. Yippee, just the kind of people we want as full citizens.
4. The Act would be extended to a minimum of 2.1 million illegals. This is an estimate, but the reality is that no one knows the "for sure" figure. It is likely that the actual number will be much higher due to fraud and the inability of our government to accurately estimate the illegal alien population already residing here. What an invitation to other illegals! The message will be "enter the U.S. illegally and within 5 years you will be placed on a path to citizenship." Talk about OPEN BORDERS. It's pretty clear Obama/Dems won't close the border because they don't want to. They are pushing legislation to let more people in, not get them out.
5. The Act extends In-State tuition benefits to illegals, even when it is not being offered to U.S. citizens. Guess who's going to pay for this little gem? You'd be right if you guessed "you."
6. The Act does not require that any illegal finish any type of degree as a condition of amnesty. It ensures that illegal alien high school dropouts will also be put on a pathway to citizenship.
7. The Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for being granted amnesty. Illegals will be required to work in "uniformed services," for example, The Public Health Service, for 2 years. But if they can demonstrate "hardship" they are excused from this provision. So we send them to school, then we pay their wages while they are awaiting citizenship, and we pay if they are on welfare or are getting social services, if they have kids and are sending them to public schools, medical care, food stamps, and hundreds of other social programs. Pay, Pay, Pay, and it's all coming out of our pocket.
8. The Act grants to illegal aliens all the rights that legal immigrants receive, including the legal right to sponsor their parents and extended family members for entry into the U.S. This can be done without regard to "numerical caps." This provision applies to the DREAM Act applicant's parents, who are responsible for the illegal DREAM Act applicant being here in the first place. Does this stink like a skunk? The parents who came here illegally, have been here illegally for many years, will suddenly become citizens thanks to their "child" who they brought with them illegally. Only a liberal Democrat and Obama could Dream up something as stupid as this. But then, we have always known they want amnesty no matter what the cost.
9. The Act provides that current illegal aliens will get state and federal student loans, federal work study dollars and other forms of federal financial aid. And they can continue to received student loans for 8 years even if they do not get a degree. Yep, they qualify for all of it, every single thing our taxes pay for that should be spent on our citizens. So how many of your sons and daughters will not get Pell Grants, etc., because the money is going to a non-citizen? Or how many won't even get into the college of their choice or any college because the available desks are taken up by 2 million illegals? Better wake up quick, Mom and Dad. You may be footing the whole bill for your college student while also paying for this nonsense. That is if your kid even gets an acceptance letter.
10. The Act prevents the Dept. of Homeland Security from using any information provided by illegal aliens whose DREAM Act amnesty applications are denied. The information cannot be used to send the illegal alien back home, and it can't be used in any investigation or prosecution of any crime committed by the illegal alien. So if the DREAM Act application is denied the alien reverts back to their "previous immigration status," which is illegal or deportable. But the bill prohibits the government from using any information contained in the application to ship the illegal out of here. Can it get any more convoluted than this??
This DREAM Act was already rejected once by Congress. But oh, no, that's not good enough for Obama/Reid/Pelosi. They are going to give it another try during the Lame Duck session. And the rumor in Washington is that they are going to shove it through the process without hearings and the public be damned. Just like they've done with hundreds of other bills.
My thoughts on why this bill and why now? Because Obama/Reid/Pelosi are looking at the election of 2010 and they are scared. They are paying back Hispanics for sending Reid and Pelosi back to Washington. They see their prospects for 2012 as dismal. They desperately need millions of new voters who will support them. What better way to do it than to open up hundreds of entitlements to millions of illegals? Talk about buying votes? And they're doing it with your tax dollars.
The price tag? For tuition and college costs only, $44 billion. And that doesn't include the rest of the real costs of this program. With deficits drowning us, what makes anyone in Washington think anything in this Act should be the law of the land? Apparently the fiscal lesson of the 2010 election was lost to the Dems. I can't wait until January.
In the meantime call and write your Congressmen and Senators and let them know very clearly that you oppose the DREAM Act. Google their names to contact them, or click on the link in my blog. I can't guarantee that they will listen to you any more than they did last year, but if they don't, 2012 is coming soon.
HOW TO POST A COMMENT AND FIND PREVIOUS BLOGS
HOW TO POST A COMMENT AND FIND MY PREVIOUS POSTS - Your thoughts and comments are important. To post a comment on any or all of my posts, simply click the title of the blog entry, go to the bottom of the blog and post your comments in the "comment" box. Be sure to click "post comment" to save. My previous posts are on the right side. Scroll down to find them. I look forward to hearing from you. But if you don't have time to comment, please continue reading my posts. Stay Informed.